BEIJING (Reuters) - Chinese police have opened fire on Tibetan demonstrators in southwestern China, wounding 10 people, after the Tibetans protested against the detention of a respected village leader.
Photographs that circulated on social media showed Tibetans with “serious wounds on the head and torso” after the incident, the ICT said.
Human rights activists say China tramples on religious freedom and culture in Tibet, which it has ruled with an iron fist since People’s Liberation Army troops “peacefully liberated” the region in 1950.
and this is NOT a good thing.
i reblogged this two minutes ago and im reblogging it again because this needs to be fucking blown up everywhere. this shit seems planned and it sounds like a fucking mass murder. i cant fathom that…
You can’t just pick a criminal out of a crowd, this will be a fucking horrible. A criminal has no specific look! We already know they’re going to stereotype and violate several rights. This Is gonna be fucking horrible. A criminal has no certain look or demeanor, like how tf are they gonna do that??
I swear to god it’s like I walked into the fucking twilight zone
For anyone who doesn’t know who Michael Brown is or what’s been going on in Ferguson
- Saturday Aug. 9, 2014: Reports out of Ferguson, MO. that a 17 y/o boy was shot 10 times by police over stolen candy
- He is identified as 18 y/o Michael Brown. The store Mike Brown allegedly stole candy from did not report any theft. Reports then claim that Brown was unarmed and shot 10 times for jaywalking.
- Mike Brown’s body was left lying in the street uncovered for 4 hours. His body was then placed into an unidentified black SUV.
- His mother said she was not allowed to ID her son’s body.
- Community members take to the streets (x). Flowers are spread where Mike Brown’s body laid (x).
- Protests begin. “No justice, no peace" chants are turned into "Kill the police" by media. Police respond to the unarmed crowd with dogs, shotguns, and this shit
- On the morning of Sunday Aug. 10, 2014, a crowd of people continued protesting, gathering at the Ferguson police station
- After a press conference, reports claim that there was a “struggle over the officer’s weapon" and that Mike Brown assaulted the officer who shot him. However, witnesses say that’s not what happened.. and they all have the same story (x) (x) (x)
- On the night of Aug. 10: Police blocked off streets (x), brought out the dogs (again), rifles, tear gas, gas masks, riot gear (x), tanks, and yelled “bring it on you fucking animals" at the crowd of protestors. They also did not hesitate to pull a woman who is 6 months pregnant out of a car, have her lay face down, and point their weapons at her
- Reports of looting and vandalism grab the media’s attention
- More pictures/footage from that night: (x) (x) (x)
- Protests continued into the morning of Monday Aug. 11: (x) demands of the protestors
- The night of Aug. 11: (x) Tear gas (x) (x), (x) (x) (x) (x) Gas masks, (x)
- Later that night: More tear gas (x) (x) (x) (x) lots of tear gas, seriously look at all this tear gas, riot gear, rifles, m16s, wooden pellets (x) (x), people shouting “hands up, don’t shoot!” and still shot with rubber bullets, (x) (x)
- Police tell people to return to their homes, returning home still isn’t good enough apparently. Police continue to shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at people who have returned home (x)
- Police shoot tear gas at media and threaten to arrest them if they don’t leave (x)
- Police think their lives are in jeopardy
- Oh yeah, the officer who killed Mike Brown is on paid administrative leave
- OH YEAH, the police declined to talk to Dorian Johnson, witness of his friend Mike Brown’s murder. But you can read Johnson’s description of what happened here (x)
- But the Ferguson Police Department said they would release the name of the officer who killed Mike Brown………. Just kidding! (x) His safety is important (x) (x) But….
- Tuesday Aug. 12: Police ban the media from the area. Ferguson declared a no fly zone (x) (x)
- Protesting continues
- Protesting rules (x)
- "Hands up, Don’t shoot!" (x) (x)
- “Who do you serve? Who do you protect?”
- Neighborhood cleanup organized (x)
- Ferguson police officer drives around QuikTrip and harasses those who are working to clean up the mess
- Mugshots of looters to be released. Officer who killed Mike Brown is still nameless.
- On the night of Aug. 12: Reports of a drive by shooting injuring at least one woman. Reports of another shooting by police, charges filed against victim .
- Protesting continues into the night, police tell protestors to get out of the streets and they respond by getting on their knees and shouting “hands up, don’t shoot!” (x)
- MORE tear gas seriously look at this shit. A witness describes the use of tear gas on the community. So much tear gas
- Mike Brown was killed on Aug. 9, as of Aug 12. none of this is being televised. Most news outlets are reporting lies (x). Several stations covered the one night of riots and looting but that’s about it. However, most news outlets are still banned from the area. The area has also become more violent since media has been banned.
- “POLICE ARE USING FORCE TO SUPPRESS OUTRAGE AT POLICE USING EXCESSIVE FORCE" (x)
- Hurt feelings *rolls eyes*
- Wednesday Aug. 13: Reports that there is NO dash cam video of the shooting of Mike Brown….. BUT
- Police are still arguing that Mike Brown injured the officer who shot him
- FERGUSON POLICE DEPARTMENT SAYS “JUSTICE IS NOT HERE RIGHT NOW”
- Police still haven’t released the name of the officer who shot Mike Brown. They also will not release full autopsy of Mike Brown (yet).
- Officer who murdered Mike Brown now has an attorney. Mike Brown’s body has been released to his family. (x)
- Mike Brown was murdered on Aug. 9. On Aug. 13 police say they will interview witness to murder
- "Race relations are a top priority" -Police chief
- State senator wants to know if she’ll be gassed again for peaceful protest
- The Department of Justice has opened a civil rights investigation into the murder of Mike Brown (x) (x) (x) (x)
- "Sit down for Mike Brown" (x)
- Streets are blocked off again (x) (x)
- SWAT team overlooks protests and has weapons drawn (x) Now asking protestors to leave (x) (x)
- Police don’t like peaceful protests (x) (x) (x) (x) (x) (x) (x)
- 3:00 AM EST Thursday 8/14/2014: Police fire rubber bullets, combustible rocket flares and tear gas canisters onto unarmed assembly of protestors (x)
- "Justice for Mike Brown" (x)
Edit: I’ll do my best to keep this updated. If there’s anything I missed or anything that is incorrect please let me know and I’ll change it or add it
i haven’t had much to say about what’s been going on in Ferguson but I will say this much.
I know some of y’all are invested in the work that Anonymous does but please tread lightly.
Anonymous has declared today a “National Day of Rage” at the same time the National Moment of Silence vigils organized by black and brown folks all over the country are supposed to be going on.
There are people on twitter saying that the co-option of the NMOS vigils has gotten so bad that graphics are being stolen in order to advertise for the National Day of Rage
I’m actually planning on attending the NMOS vigil in downtown Chicago. but I’d be lying if i said i didn’t have reservations. I don’t have reservations about the vigil itself, but about the possibility that it can be co-opted at any time by white anarchists following the lead of Anonymous all for it to turn into a shit show.
Suffice to say I’m sick of black and brown folks getting together to collectively organize spaces to mourn and heal together all for white leftists to co-opt them itching to live out some deeply romanticized understanding of how the intersections of violence, oppression, and resistance occur.
The same thing almost happened to me last year at the Trayvon Martin rally last Ramadan where members of the Bob Avakian and ISO were arguing with police about how much space the march could take up on the sidewalk and the streets
these same white leftists who treat getting into skirmishes with the police as badges of honor in the struggle.
who have no concern for the PoCs across generations (especially the elderly), the parents with very young children, the young black and brown youths already targeted by police on a daily basis will be affected by their actions.
who don’t realize that when they start shit with the police for the sake of it its not them who the police will be cracking down on in that moment or going forward. its US! its the people who wanted to gather peacefully and mourn together who will bear the brunt of police brutality in that moment and from then on
If you want to use your white privilege as an activist, leftist, however you identify yourself
Starting shit with the police at a peaceful vigil organized by black and brown folks is not the way to go about it. that’s not being a good actively anti-racist person. its actually showing how much you don’t get it and how much this is all a game to you.
Do not fuck this up!
People have worked really hard in such a short amount of time to be pull this together and it would be a crying shame for unflexed white supremacy to once again rear its ugly head and fuck things up
People need this space
If you really feel the need to rage then go to a punk or metal show. Save it for the next time the Klan comes to town.
If you’re so anti-racist with your rage use it to face off with your white supremacist brethren somewhere else
Obama took time out of his golf marathon in Martha’s Vineyard to briefly address the riots in Ferguson, Mo.
What did we learn? That Obama is in a hurry to get back to the golf course:
And 7 minutes later…
The worst part of outfitting our police officers as soldiers has been psychological. Give a man access to drones, tanks, and body armor, and he’ll reasonably think that his job isn’t simply to maintain peace, but to eradicate danger. Instead of protecting and serving, police are searching and destroying.
If officers are soldiers, it follows that the neighborhoods they patrol are battlefields. And if they’re working battlefields, it follows that the population is the enemy. And because of correlations, rooted in historical injustice, between crime and income and income and race, the enemy population will consist largely of people of color, and especially of black men. Throughout the country, police officers are capturing, imprisoning, and killing black males at a ridiculous clip, waging a very literal war on people like Michael Brown."
has there been any statements released by any higher forms of government condemning whats going on in ferguson??? because they’re blatantly disregarding rights granted to citizens by the fucking constitution and the governments silence sends a message that this is an acceptable phenomena for police to terrorize civilians that are trying to exorcise their right to peacefully protest